In reality, I have never met someone in the supermarket. Have you? Maybe you have. But in reality, who strikes up a conversation over the fresh fruit aisle? A conversation that’s not with the person weighing your produce?
Places I have met men that would qualify as meet-cute material:
- plane flights to Cape Town - everytime I leant backwards in my chair, his tray would fall down (read into that what you will);
- the bet-you-can’t-get-that-guy dare of my teens; and
- the video shop (okay maybe I need to revise the shopping thing).
That’s why aeons ago, I started collecting stories. You know the kind - how did you meet, how did you know? Let me tell you one thing, there are a lot of braai stories out there. If there’s one thing I can glean from this informal research is that friend of a friend tends to be a winner.
But occasionally I get some goodies, like:
- trapped in a lift;
- gate-crashing a wedding, and so was he; and
- at an all girls’ function, and he was the stripper.